ABOUT US

VASA’s mission is to provide a culturally and economically diverse K6 student population with a high quality public school program taught by qualified teachers. It is designed not only to help young children perform at grade level and above but to promote their desire to learn and to value education. VASA also provides an engaging, culturally rich curriculum using the arts, science, history, and physical education to motivate the need for and to reinforce achievement in mathematics and basic literacy skills development.

It is the goal of the school’s founders to attract at least 60% of the students from the overcrowded, low performing schools in the immediate vicinity of the proposed location of VASA. The remaining 40% of the student population is composed of children of diverse backgrounds who live outside the core downtown area and who are attracted to the school by its educational program.

VASA is nonsectarian in its programs, admissions policies, employment practices, contracts, and all other operations, does not charge tuition, does not discriminate against any pupil on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, or disability, and does not otherwise to discrimination.